Sunday, February 03, 2008

Election Resources

With Super Tuesday upon us, and amid all the continuing coverage of the caucuses, debates and primaries, the election is in front of our kids at every turn. What a great opportunity to use this time to teach them about it first hand!

I know there are some great resources out there in book form and online, and I'm in the process of scoping them out. I thought I'd share what I've found so far...

If you are a Republican, there is a fun website coordinated by an oh-so-together mom I've "known" for years on the Well-Trained Mind Yahoo group. The site is called HSforGOP.us and you can join and access it for $5 for an individual or $10 for a family. This site will provide age/grade appropriate lesson plans and interactive activities throughout the election process. We joined today, and I'm currently trying to figure it all out, so I can't post any more details than that! My kids are the perfect age to enjoy logging on and participating in some of the activities, so hopefully it will prove to be useful in the months ahead.

Another resource I've ordered is a Presidential Election Process labbook e-book from Knowledge Box Central. I ordered the 6-12th grade one (linked with the title), but there is one available for K-5th grade here.

Enchanted Learning, which I've loved for years, also has some fun printable election activities here.

I know this is only the tip of the iceberg ballot box, so if there are others you've heard of or are using, let me know!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin