Wednesday, July 12, 2006

"Teacher" Voice

Yesterday afternoon, when I finally could read without feeling too dizzy, we began The Fallacy Detective. I've decided to go through this book and perhaps The Thinking Toolbox before we begin Memoria Press' Traditional Logic course. I was sitting on the couch after battling a headache for much of the day (as I mentioned in my previous post), I grabbed the book off of the coffee table and called the kids into the living room. I wanted to read the first chapter of the book so I would feel like we got something done that day. They seated themselves comfortably on the big chairs on the opposite side of the room, settling in, just like they do every other day of the school year. As I began reading, a grin spread across my 12 year old's face. I noticed, but didn't say anything. There is a bit of humor in the book, so I figured she was finding it... well, humorous. So, I kept reading. She kept smiling. Finally, I put the book down and looked at her.

"You're using your teacher voice."

"What?"

"Your teacher voice. You're using it right now. I can always tell when you're using your teacher voice."

"What do you mean? I'm just reading a book."

"Yep. In your teacher voice."

Well, hmph. I haven't been in the classroom for over 10 years, but I still have a teacher voice. Which apparently comes out, even when I'm sitting cross-legged on the couch at home on a summer afternoon.

Later that evening at dinner, I asked them again.

"So, do I really have a 'teacher' voice?"

My son replied, "Yeah. Trust us. We've lived with you for 12 years and 10 years. We know. But, don't worry, it's not a bad thing! You do have it though..."

I've shed a lot of what I used to do in the classroom because much of it is unnecessary or even ineffective in homeschooling. But, apparently I didn't lose 'the voice'! I'm going to start watching myself. I may start calling the roll, marking their behavior folders and making them line up to get a drink...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin